Monday, December 6, 2010

Truly Amazing Times

I was out for my afternoon walk, not too long ago, on a lovely Fall day in Los Angeles, and I made an observation that almost struck me with the weight of the proverbial ton of bricks. I don’t know why the realization had not occurred to me before, but it wasn’t until just that moment that I felt quite connected with our time. I observed how so many people were walking around, going about their lives, but connected to music of their choice with electronic ear “buds” securely snug in their ears. I just hadn’t realized how pervasive it is. And then, it started me thinking. The ideas and questions rushed through my mind at an exciting pace.

I too was connected to my electronic device that day, listening to my favorite classical music. Somehow, classical music brings out even more beauty in the sky and scenery. I ventured a safe bet though, that most people probably listen to music of the harder (or harsher) nature. But be that as it may, I marveled at the amazing technology that permits us all to take our inspiration and motivation with us. It calms us when we are nervous, inspires us when we are searching for that spark and pushes us when we are uncertain. That so much wonderful music is literally at our fingertips is a wondrous thing.

It was not all that long ago that I remember carrying, what now seems like, a rather bulky Walkman CD player. I recall how I had to keep it steady so as not to impact the mechanism inside which required a certain level of stability to operate uninterrupted. And of course, prior to that, there was the bulkier Walkman cassette. Going back any further than that seems utterly prehistoric.

Then, my thoughts drifted to the realm of “what would they think?”. I tried to imagine what the great composers might think of the notion that we could hear their marvelous creations anytime we wanted. We did not have to hope to be invited to an exclusive music soirĂ©e in some secluded, private salon, nor did we have to purchase an expensive ticket to a long-awaited concert. All we have to do is merely hit PLAY and we are transported to another world. The technology almost seems magical yet it is within reach of so many. That in itself, is the beauty of capitalism and the free market which has served us well. Oh, how I do love this time in which we live!

No comments:

Post a Comment